Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Cooking off

5 Aug

Since we woke up early, what's a couple to do while waiting for 8 am?  Laundry.   We have a 5 gal bucket that we've been using to painstakingly do wash in.  How I miss my washer and dryer, but Roger makes a heck of a wring man.  We string a clothesline inside the RV and drive on down the road, since we don't have a rear window to worry about.

At 8 we went to Taller de Roy Hidalgo, who converts cars from gas to propane.  Apparently this is a good business in Peru.  Unfortunately the guy who had the keys to the parts bin that might of had the right adaptor didn't make it back last night from an offsite job.  However Roy made a phone call for us to his brother's shop in Piura to see if he could help us.  After we got the info, we left for Piura which is about 3 hours south of Mancura on the PanAm hwy.  It would have been an easy drive, except for the rough roads for about 40% of the time.  The drive starts along the coast and then goes through mountain desert that reminded us of the terrain around El Paso.




Once again traffic was crazy in Piura.  The motorcycle taxis and small taxis don't like to honor lanes, but Roger skillfully drives around all the pesky taxis.

We got to the recommended Piura taller, and the guys there were very helpful.  Unfortunately we have too much propane and our tank has to be empty before they can swap out the valve.  The plan is to change the valve to Peru/Chile valve and keep the USA valve.  That way we can get propane in Peru/Chile and hopefully will be a key resale item for attracting a buyer in Chile.

While Roger was dealing with the RV, I took a taxi to downtown Piura to get a SIM card for the phone and service.  This took a while, no surprise, and after I paid I realized I didn't have any small bills for the taxi ride back.  The Claro guy told me there was a bank a block away, so I was in the process of walking to it when I passed a Maxi grocery store.  I went in and bought a six pack of beer for Roger and was able to break the large bill.  Funny the ride back cost me 40% less than the ride to downtown.  But the taxi I took back was held together with bailing wire and chewing gum.

We have to empty the propane tank, so we're burning the stove top, heating water, and have the heater on.  I now know how clothes feel in a clothes dryer.  Hopefully we'll get the change out done first thing tomorrow morning and be back on the road tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment